Sunday, February 26, 2012

February Showers bring March Flowers...

I know I have been MIA two weeks, yes two weeks but I have a good reason - work.  I would much rather be blogging at night or on the weekends but when duty calls I have to abandoned the blog.  I apologize but I am now back and ready to go.  I also know April showers usually bring May flowers however due to this winter I think February is appropriate.  I am definitely not going to complain about the lack of snow in the Northeast, I will enjoy it and prepare myself for winter next year.   Now on to the real reason I am blogging...my latest project.  For this project I was inspired by a wreath I was given last year so today I decided to try and recreate the wreath.  After buying the essential materials I was ready to go:
18" grapevine wreath from AC Moore for $4.99 plus 40% off
Dark pink hydrangeas at $9.99 per stem on sale for $5.99 at AC Moore - total of 4 stems
Fake Granny Smith apples from HomeGoods at $1.65 each
You are all probably thinking these are odd materials but I promise it will all come together in the end.  First I hot glued the apples on the grapevine wreath:
Next I cut each hydrangea bunch from the stems - there were 5 hydrangea clusters per steam.  I then placed the clusters around the wreath to ensure I covered all of the wreath.
Halfway there!
It looks Hawaiian in these pictures but I promised the flowers are deep pink/mauve and not purple.  Once the wreath was completely covered in the flowers it was time to add a few bows and cover a naked door.
But before I show you the finished wreath I want to first show you the inspiration for the wreath or rather the wreath I planned on replicating:
  I saw this wreath last year at a neighborhood florist and was lucky enough to receive it as a gift a few weeks later!  The wreath was expensive so I couldn't rationalize buying it but I used it all spring and summer and will use it this year as well.  Now on to the final product:
I used only three apples on this one as I didn't think five would fit as I spaced these out a little more than the original wreath.  Again I promise this looks more pink/mauve in person.  By making this on my own it cost less than $35.  The wreaths I saw at AC Moore and Micheals were much more expensive and not really as nice/tasteful as this one, well at least in my opinion.
I hope you all enjoyed this spring wreath...the next project is already in stage 1!

Until next time...Stay Creative!!





No comments:

Post a Comment