Tuesday, June 19, 2012

What can I bring?

As we enter the season of cookouts, well at least in the Northeast, with each cookout you ask what you can bring.  I would say from personal experience 9 out of 10 times the host with say nothing or whatever you would like.  What to bring?  Well I have a pretty good cookie recipe that is easy and will really intrigue the other party goers.  As much as I would like to take credit for being the first one to try this recipe I will have to give the credit to my mom.  When I was last home she had made these cookies for a party and they were a hit so I figured I would give them a try.
I made them over the weekend and brought them to work to test on my coworkers.  I wasn't sure how they would be received but I told everyone to just try them before giving me the 'what' are these look.  Well they were a hit so here I am sharing with you the recipe.  You start by making chocolate chip cookie dough and add potato chips - yes potato chips.  I bought the cheap store brand plain potato chips and put handfuls of whole chips in a plastic bag, crumbled the cookies and added more.
Before I knew it I had 2 1/4 cups crumbled and ready to add to the dough.
I stirred in the potato chips after I added the chocolate chips to the dough and I had potato chocolate chip dough! 
I found the recipe online but I put a little 'Mom' twist on the cookies.  I made balls of dough and rolled the dough in the extra potato chips before I baked them.   My mom informed me she made hers like this to add a little extra crunch and salt.
After rolling each ball I placed the cookies on the baking sheet.  Be cautious when placing the cookies on the baking sheet as they do not stick to the tray and will slide around.  I learned this with the first tray as they all slid to one side.  I baked them following the directions and they were perfect.
Like I said before everyone questioned these but with one bite my coworkers were impressed.  They really liked the sweet and salty concoction.  This is the recipe I used:

Ingredients
1 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 cups crushed potato chips (I used Lays Classic Potato Chips)
1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs. Combine the flour and baking soda and slowly add to the creamed sugar mixture. Mix well. Stir in the crushed potato chips and chocolate chips.
Drop by small spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. If you are making large cookies you may want to keep them in the oven for about 14 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Remember roll the cookie dough in the chips before you bake them - adds a great twist!  Stay tuned for a white cake cupcake with almond frosting.  Perfect for those upcoming bridal showers!

Until next time...Stay Creative!!






No comments:

Post a Comment