Monday, May 21, 2012

Chicken, Lickin' Good!

I shared with you all a photo of a chicken dish my mom had prepared a month or so ago and promised to share the recipe.  Well I have had the recipe for a while now but wanted to wait until I made it to share it with you all.  My mom promised it was delicious but I actually hadn't tried it until now!  The picture on the recipe looks very involved and the outcome looks absolutely gourmet but I want to let you know it is not as complicated as it looks.
First I bought the chicken - the recipe calls for an organic 3 1/2 pound chicken and I wasn't sure how easy this would be to buy.  Well I walked away with a 7 pound whole chicken and after telling my mom I realized finding a smaller, whole chicken is difficult.  Once I had the chicken and the rest of the ingredients I was ready to go.  I made this on a 'school' night (aka midweek night) so you can take my word it doesn't take all day!
The recipe also calls for fingerling potatoes but my mom brought me some smaller potatoes that were different colors.  Have you ever had the Jet Blue Terra chips well that type of potato was in the mix and very tasty.  I am not sure how easy these are to find but if you can find them they are great.  I think they were called a potato medley and came in a bag.  Once I basted and stuffed the chicken with a lemon it was ready to bake.  I would caution that if you get a larger chicken I would stick to the cook time based on the weight of the chicken and not this recipe.
Once the chicken is done cooking you brush on the sauce you will make while the chicken is cooking then let it set and voila dinner is ready!  This chicken was huge and we had leftovers which always makes the next night really easy :)
I served it in the dish I baked it in as it was just me and my husband eating but when I cook this again it will be for more than two of us and I will make sure I serve it on a nice dish.  Overall it was very tasty and moist - the sauce really brings out the flavor.

Also I wanted to share with you a picture of my garden that I mulched yesterday.  The garden started 3 years ago with a few small hostas and a hydrangea and has grown into a jungle!!
I also recently received the bunny from my mom which I love!  I think with a nice bird bath I will have the perfect backyard, city retreat.  Stay tuned for another easy recipe I made this weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment