Wednesday, May 9, 2012

More Flowers

This week I went to a flower class and had no idea what to expect.  I had come across the flower school online and so for my birthday I received a gift certificate from my parents for two classes.  This was my first class and I wasn't sure how exactly it was going to go since the website had the course name but no description.  The class I choose was called 'Flowers & Foliage' - what does that mean?  I wasn't sure either but now I know.
When I got to the class I saw hydrangeas (yay) and lilies (nay) and still was not sure what we were doing.  We all started with the instructor showing us examples of what she made with the materials and then we were left to work on our own.  I wish I had taken pictures but there were signs asking for cellphones to be turned off so being the good student I am I didn't want to get a bad rap! 
We started with wrapping the container they gave us with big leaves using these sticky dashes - these were extremely sticky and the leaves are holding strong.  The containers were black and silver so the leaves did the trick.  I was given two leaves and one was so big it was wider than the container but I made it work.  Next we put in the wet block and covered the diameter of the container with lemon leaves.  We then used one hydrangea to cover the bottom and built up from that.
The instructions were to use two stems of lilies and place them any way we wanted to and then we had some grass and these hollow green twigs that looked like bamboo (I forgot the name).  In the beginning the instructor demonstrated that these bamboo like stems could be formed any way with wire and they don't break.  However once you bend them the crease is permanent.  I wasn't sure what to think as I am used to several flowers in bouquets and this was very contemporary.
Once we were done the instructor judged each one but wasn't ruthless about it.  Some people in the class loved giving their opinions on all of them whether you wanted to hear it or not! 
I struggled with this arrangement a bit because it was contemporary and I didn't want it to be too symmetrical and in the end it worked out just not sure how I like it.  And here it is:
and another view...
As you can see it takes on a different look from a different angle - this was something I was really aiming for.  It is definitely not your typical arrangement but it is growing on me! I did want to let you know that one arrangement had the bamboo stuff sticking out each side and the instructor referred to them as bunny ears...ooops.
I also wanted to share with you a gift I recently wrapped.  I particularly like this one since it is so different.  I found peacock feather wrapping paper at TJ Maxx to start the pakage.  Then I was strolling in Michael's the same day and thought a peacock feather would be nice and they had them!  I used to some green ribbon I already had and voila I had a pretty package!
My mom was visiting this past weekend and used the paper too!  It is so fun and different - perfect for any occasion. 

Until next time...Stay Creative!!



No comments:

Post a Comment