Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Easy, Peasy, QuichE!

Recently I went to a friend's house and decided with another friend to bring lunch.   It was very last minute so I wasn't sure what I would make until quiche came to mind.  I had actually never made quiche before but after googling a few recipes I realized there were several different variations to the quiche recipe.  I found one that I decided I would use as a guide for my first spinach, cheese quiche.  First I started with sauteing onions with butter then added garlic and sauteed some more.
Next I defrosted the frozen, chopped spinach in the microwave.  I then removed the onions and garlic from the stove and put them in a bowl to cool.  Once the spinach was defrosted and drained I added the spinach to the onions and garlic and mixed it well.
The recipe then called for Gruyere cheese - I had never made anything with Gruyere so I wasn't sure what to expect.  When I got to the grocery store I realized I needed 1 1/2 cups shredded and the cheese was on the expensive side.  I had no idea how much a block would be grated but I learned that a block of cheese grates into a large amount!  I grated the cheese and added it to the spinach mixture.  I also added cheddar just because I had some.
Once this was combined I used my hand mixer to beat the eggs and milk.  Once the eggs and milk were well blended I added the egg mixture to the spinach.  The recipe says to put the spinach on the bottom of the pie plate and add the egg but I wanted to make sure it was all blended.   Prior to adding the mixture to the pie dish I 'made' the crust.  By made I mean I bought a Pillsbury pie crust in the refrigerated section at the grocery store.  I have made crusts a few times from scratch but for quiche this was pre-made crust was perfect.  
As you can see the filling didn't quite fill the dish.  I forgot my pie dish is a deep dish so next time I make the quiche I will just need to add some more eggs and milk.  I put it in the oven and waited...
Voila...
It is ready to eat!  The great thing about this recipe is you can add anything you want for the filling - just use the egg and milk base add your imagination and dinner is served. 

Spinach Quiche Recipe:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 10-oz. package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 1/2 cups grated Gruyère
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
Click to see savings

Salt and pepper
Pinch of ground nutmeg

  1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. In a small skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
  2. Sprinkle onion mixture, spinach and Gruyère over bottom of pie shell. Beat eggs and milk together, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Gently pour into crust.
  3. Bake quiche for 40 to 45 minutes, until set and nicely browned. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.

There you have it - try it and I promise you will not be disappointed on how easy and good it tastes!

Until next time...Stay Creative!!

No comments:

Post a Comment