Monday, April 9, 2012

Another holiday over...

I wanted to share with you all a couple things from this weekend.  My husband and I entertained our families on Sunday and it was a lot of fun!  It actually wasn't too much work for me as my other half did a majority of the cooking but I did do some flower arranging and baking.  Let's start with the flowers.  I had seen an arrangement on Pinterest which I really liked and had to try.  I wasn't sure how it would come out - looked simple but who really knows until you try.

I started by pulling out all my vases to see if I could use them for this project.  I needed two vases, a big one and a smaller one for the inside.  The smaller one is for the flowers and the space between the two would hold the candy.  After I realized I didn't have a big enough vase I looked high and low for a square or round one and finally found a round one and it was perfect.
Next I started filling the bottom with jelly beans then a layer of peeps and another layer of jelly beans.  This was easier than I thought it was going to be - the hard part was getting the first layer of jelly beans level.  I didn't do a great job but live and learn!  The peeps I bought were in rows of four and the vase fit 16 peeps perfectly.  It was very easy since they were attached.  I also used two bags of jelly beans, one bag for each layer.
Looks pretty good but I will warn you the next part is harder.  I bought a few bouquets of flowers at Trader Joe's.  I really like Trader Joe's flowers because they are inexpensive and you can buy bunches of one type of flower (not just arranged bouquets).  So now it was time to arrange the flowers however first I had to put water in the smaller vase.  A piece of advice use a watering can to fill the vase or else you will get water in where the candy is and it will be a hug mess.

I started arranging the flowers using bright spring colors...yellows, pinks, and purples.  Arranging was the more time consuming part as I had to clean the flowers of their leaves and then arrange them.  I realize you all know from previous posts how much I love flower arranging but I still have to share :)
And it's complete!  I wish I had gotten a picture of it on the table but I forgot to take a photo shoot of it all set up.  I was happy with the way it came out and can't wait to explore more ideas for filling the area between the two vases.  I also saw it with red hots and heart candies for Valentine's day.  Stay tuned for more arrangements using this concept.
Next up baking.  I also made carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.  I absolutely love carrot cake and think it should be a staple for every Easter feast.  I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to decorate these but figured I would come up with something.  If I had more time I would have researched some ideas but this is what I came up with.


I also frosted some of the cupcakes with green frosting and stuck a peep and jelly beans on top of each one.  Those ones were hard to get in the boxes without making a mess.  I bought the boxes at HomeGoods and they were the perfect carrier for the cupcakes.  At the end of our brunch each family took home a box of cupcakes since we were all too stuffed to eat one during the day!
How cute are these boxes?!  Ok enough of the Easter talk - I mean come on that was over yesterday.  I look forward to the weather getting better and being able to share my flowers with all of you. 

Until next time...Stay Creative!!






No comments:

Post a Comment