Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sweet Eggs...

Ok I am back - I was on vacation for the last week and a half but now that I am back I am ready to blog!  I want to share with you a project that I completed with my mom.  I say completed because she did the hard part and I was able to do the fun part:)  As a kid my mom made sugar eggs so she decided to try them again.  I am not positive how she made the actual sugar egg but here is a recipe from the internet: http://candy.about.com/od/sugarcandy/r/sugar_eggs.htm

My mom used egg forms with two halves that were supposed to hold candy.  Once she filled the eggs with the sugar substance she let it harden then scooped out the center of each egg.
When I came home for the weekend my mom had four halves waiting for me.  Here's a close up:
In the bottom half is where you create a scene so once the halves are together you look through the hole.  My mom purchased some chicks, Easter grass, and robin eggs for the inside.  It was difficult to find the small figurines but if you keep your eyes and your ruler out at the craft stores you will find the right figures!
I added a dab of hot glue on the bottom of the egg and stuck the Easter grass to it and then glued the chick and the robin eggs.  Next I hot glued the the top to the bottom and it was one piece!  You can also use frosting to hold the eggs together but hot glue seems to work better and I highly doubt anyone would want to eat these after Easter!
Here they are pre-frosting.  Next you need to make the royal frosting to decorate the eggs.  It is important to use royal frosting as you need frosting which completely hardens.  Regular frosting will not harden enough and will get damaged in transit and will be a mess when kids are trying to look through them.

We decided to use blue coloring but you could use any color or multiple colors!  Now it was time to frost the egg.  After a quick instruction from my mom I was ready to decorate it.
First I put frosting around the egg where the seam is for the two halves and then decorated the front.


As you can see the frosting is great to hide the seams and the jagged edges of the sugar eggs.  You can even get a little more fancy and create designs and flowers.  I have not mastered frosting flowers yet but I will get there!  These may not be the best project for kids but they are great to give to kids.  If they are careful enough then these can be used each year.  More projects to come!

Until next time...Stay Creative!!




No comments:

Post a Comment