Thursday, April 26, 2012

Wreath take two

I have been seeing these 'deco wreaths' around a lot this year and decided to finally succumb to the craze and give it a try.  I showed you before my hydrangea wreath so I clearly don't need one for myself but I figured I could make one as a gift.  I started by googling ideas and quickly realized there were several YouTube videos out there to guide me but first I was off to AC Moore for supplies.  I was lucky enough to find all my supplies on sale...including the deco mesh and ribbon! 
As you can see purple was the chosen color for the wreath!  I bought a straw wreath which was kind of a mess when I took the plastic wrap off.  Next time I will definitely go for the foam wreaths instead.  I had to cover the wreath first so I decided to use the light purple deco ribbon.  I secured the end with a u-pin and started wrapping....
The ribbon covers up the straw and gives the wreath a sparkly nice base.  After watching one YouTube video I realized it isn't really an art because you can be as haphazard as you want and it won't matter.  I started by scrunching the mesh together and pinning the end to the outside.
(Disclaimer: as you can see I started with a different ribbon to cover the straw but there wasn't enough and it looked sloppy so I started over)
This is the first securing of the mesh - I found it easy to pin it to the outside and then inside and outside and so forth.  It was like you were making v's and the mesh is full on the loops.
You can see where I pinned it on the inside.  The mesh is about 18" inches thick so it really does a great job of covering the wreath with the loops.
Here is the wreath all done...well before I had some fun decorations to add to it!  I decided to add some flowers first.

I wasn't exactly sure where to put the flowers but I did know I had a wooden 'B' I wanted to add to one side so I placed the flowers on the other side.
Next I painted the 'B' in light purple.  I had the paint from another project so I was all set with the color scheme!
As I let the 'B' dry I added some more flowers, light purple ribbon, and some purple butterflies.  It sounds like a lot of stuff but I didn't plaster the decorations all over the wreath just in a few areas.  I glued u-pins to the back of the wooden letter with hot glue and was able to fasten it to the wreath.   Like I said before I am going to give the wreath away but I wanted to give you an idea of how it looked on a door!
The great thing about this wreath is that I was able to make the wreath for under $20 - I think it is a pretty inexpensive project when you can find the supplies on sale!  Another great thing about these wreaths is that you can make one for every season or holiday with different themes.  You can definitely do more conservative colors but for spring and summer I thought purple was fun.  Stay tuned for my easy quiche that even tastes good!

Until next time...Stay Creative!!




No comments:

Post a Comment