Monday, April 23, 2012

Not so plain wall...anymore

A few weeks back I had a day off during the week and was able to catch the Nate Berkus Show.  I really enjoyed the show but I think it is being cancelled...not sure why though.  Anyhow he featured a girl from Chicago who decorated her small living space with odds and ends and even art she created herself.  She made pieces of wall art from two canvases, paint, and felt...naturally I felt inspired.  I started with two canvases and spray paint.  I had green spray paint the color I was going to paint the background so I figured that would be easier than painting with a brush...I was being lazy!
Next I started painting the canvases.   I quickly noticed the paint was creating a pattern as I sprayed and moved the bottle, a pattern I liked.
After I sprayed a bit more to even out the pattern I let the canvases dry.
As you can see once the canvases dried the pattern was more distinct and added some texture.  Next up was cutting felt out to create flowers.  I started with cutting out patterns for the flowers from thick paper.  The flowers were supposed to be layered so I needed 5 or 6 layers per flower.
I then started cutting and layering and cutting some more.  After cutting a few layers I realized it was easier to just cut the flowers free hand and let each one be a little different.  I decided to use brown felt for the flowers.  The pictures on the show were gold with white flowers which looked very elegant in the living room.
This is the up close of one of the flowers.  I made about 9 more and started placing them on the canvases.  I think I looked at the canvases for a week straight trying to figure out where to glue the flowers.  I used hot glue to secure each layer and used hot glue to affix the flowers to the canvas.


Here they are on the wall...it is hard to see how they bring the room together as the room isn't big enough to get the other colors in the room but I am happy with how they came out.  I think in total they cost less than $15 as I had some materials already.  I wish I could find a picture of the original ones I saw as they were awesome in the room. 
Next up I have a really easy quiche recipe as well as another fun
wreath.

Until next time...Stay Creative!!

No comments:

Post a Comment