Sunday, January 29, 2012

Valentine's Cookies!

I came across a Valentine's cookie recipe and wanted to share it with you before February 14th in hopes that some of you would like to make them for the holiday as well.  I decided to give them a go this weekend to see how hard they were or if they were as good as they look.  The recipe looked simple with very few ingredients which made it even more appealing.
First I started with the batter which consisted of strawberry cake mix, crisco, and eggs (3 ingredients - doesn't get any simpler than that).
The batter was thick and not too sticky which made forming the cookies pretty easy.  In order to make the cookies you need to roll two balls for each cookie.  I found it best to roll two oval balls:
Next you squeeze the bottom together to form the bottom of the heart.  I then shaped the cookies a bit more into hearts.  My first attempt I used two round balls but found I didn't get a very defined heart shape.  Shaping of the hearts was the most time consuming part of the recipe.
A little more forming and the hearts were all set.
Next I put them in the oven and crossed my fingers that pink, round blobs wouldn't come out of the oven...
Not too bad, look like the recipe picture so I am on the right track.  After baking all of the cookies it was time for the cream filling.  Again the filling was only 4 ingredients (butter, cream cheese, vanilla, and powder sugar) and took no time to whip up.
I frosted one side of the cookie with a thick coat and used another cookie to top it off. 
I am happy how they came out but will say the recipe only yielded about 10 cookies so I think next time I need to make smaller balls as I had a lot of frosting left over.  I highly recommend making these, they are so easy and my personal taste tester gave them several thumbs up!
For the complete directions and recipe go to: http://thirtyhandmadedays.com/2012/01/valentine_cookies/

Do any of you struggle with finding your cleaning supplies as it is all in a pile under the sink or in a cabinet?  Well stay tuned because I have the perfect solution!

Until next time...Stay Creative!!






No comments:

Post a Comment