Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Will you be my Valentine?

This past weekend I was looking on Pinterest (best website) for project ideas and came across several valentine's that kids can make.  I thought what a fun idea and so I recruited a 7 year old to make her own valentine's.  I promised to make the mock-up one for her to follow as well as provide her with the instructions and supplies list.  I hope she has fun making them! 
After looking at several Valentine's I picked one and off to Michael's I went to get the supplies.  But first here are some of the ideas I came across:
or
(not sure if these are safe for 7 year olds?)
or
In the end I settled for this one:
I wasn't exactly sure what supplies I would find at Michael's but decided if I looked hard enough I would find the right materials.  After being at the store a few minutes I found everything I needed and most things were on clearance or in the $1 bin!
I found white, round, scalloped cards so I decided to add some color.  I also found pink and white zebra paper on clearance that I would be able to print the saying on.  The 7 year old who is making these is a bit sassy so I figured the zebra print would suit her ;)  After printing the front of the card and trying my best to replicate the font I was able to print 4 on each piece of paper.
Then I had to cut each saying out in a circle as the cards I bought were circular - I wasn't sure how I was going to cut a perfect circle...then the light bulb went on!  I used a drinking glass to trace a circle, it was great because I could see through the glass and tell if it was center.
Next I cut out the circle:
Now it was time to put the circle on the card.  I found a pack of 8 cards for $1 - not bad!  I glued the paper to the middle of the card and added two felt hearts for decoration.  The original Valentine was just a flat piece of paper, similar to a coaster, but I thought these were actually better because you can put them in the envelope and sign in the inside of the card.
Now it is on to making the bracelet.  I picked up girl colors but I am thinking the boys in the class may not enjoy these colors:
In order to braid the bracelet I reverted back to fifth grade and decided to safety pin the end of the string to my jeans.  Does anyone remember that trick?  I was laughing the whole time I was braiding it realizing how great that trick really is!
After the bracelet was made and two holes were punched in the card it was complete:
The card opens like a regular card and can be signed by the giver.  I chose these Valentine's because I thought both boys and girls would like these and it is also a good project to spend a few evenings making.
I hope you all liked the card ideas and maybe some of you will even try one of these ideas.  Also check out Pinterest - your life will not be the same!!

Until next time...Stay Creative!










No comments:

Post a Comment