Sunday, November 20, 2011

A few updates...

A few things to start before I rave about the cake batter truffles I made this evening.  Remember I had written in a previous post about how to revive a hydrangea? Well today I was able to try it out.  I had purchased flowers yesterday and there were two hydrangeas in the bouquet which were gorgeous.  Well this morning one looked a bit sad which I was happy about because I wanted to see if I could make it alive and well again.  Here it is feeling sad and vulnerable:
After I cut the stem at a diagonal I put the flower in a cup of hot water from the faucet.  The key is to make sure you use the hottest possible water from the tap.  After a few hours in the hot water I present to you the new and improved hydrangea:
The trick really did work - now it will be interesting to see how long it lasts at this state (I will keep you all posted).
Next on the list are the turkey cakepops...well I started making them tonight and let me tell you they are not as easy as Berger was.  So far I think I dipped 11 cakepops and only 3 or 4 were salvageable.  I finally put the project aside for tomorrow evening as I was getting too frustrated.  I moved on to making cake batter truffles.
I have book club tomorrow night and I volunteered to bring a sweet treat.  I found a recipe for cake batter truffles and knew I had to give it a try.  I started out by making dough using yellow cake mix, flour, sugar, vanilla, and butter:
I contemplated using confetti cake mix but wasn't sure how that would be since the batter isn't baked.  I opted instead for hand mixing regular rainbow sprinkles into the mix:
Next up I made the dough balls:
Then it was time to dip the balls.  I found white chocolate melts with sprinkles at Michael's and had to use those as the coating:
Stay tuned for the final product!  I don't want to give them away in case any of the book clubbers are following this blog!  My personal taste tester tried them tonight and he liked them better than the cakepops but that may have been because he had just eaten several cakepops and was overwhelmed by the chocolaty goodness.  Here is the recipe:

CAKE BATTER TRUFFLES

½ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup white sugar
1 ½ cups flour
1 cup yellow cake mix
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
3-4 Tablespoons milk
2 Tablespoons sprinkles

Truffle Coating:
16 ounces (8 squares) almond bark (or white candy melts)
4 Tablespoons yellow cake mix
sprinkles

Beat together butter and sugar using an electric mixer until combined. Blend in vanilla.  Add cake mix, flour, salt, and vanilla and mix thoroughly. Add 3 Tablespoons of milk or more if needed to make a dough consistency. Mix in sprinkles by hand. Roll dough into one inch balls and place on a parchment or wax paper lined cookie sheet. Chill balls in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to firm up.
While dough balls are chilling, melt almond bark in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted. Stir between intervals. Once melted, quickly stir in cake mix until incorporated completely. Using a fork, dip truffles into almond bark and shake of excess bark by tapping the bottom of the fork on the side of your bowl. Place truffle back on the cookie sheet and top with sprinkles. Repeat with remaining balls until finished.

Chill cake batter truffles in the refrigerator until serving. Makes around 24-30 truffles.

I encourage you to try making these because they are so much easier then the cakepops and a great way to start experimenting with chocolate melts if you ever try cakepops.
Until next time...stay creative!






No comments:

Post a Comment