Friday, November 4, 2011

The Final Product

It is the night before the bachelorette party and I have finally finished the cake pups.  I am very happy with how they came out and hope I can transport them without losing an ear, an eye, or a nose!  So let's start from the beginning. 
After I baked the cake and formed the cake balls I left them in the refrigerator overnight.  Once I was ready to make the pops I selected peanut butter candy melts as the outside coating.
I melted them in the microwave and started dipping.  The trick is to dip the stick in the melted coating and then put the stick in the cake ball...let the dipping begin!
And then....
Once I dipped the cake pop I let the excess peanut butter drip off the pop.  The best method is to hold it upside down, as seen in the above picture, and tap your wrist that is holding the pop with your other hand.  Ensure all the excess coating is off because I found pops with too much coating cracked as they were drying.  They tasted just as great just didn't look the best. 
On to the puppies - my favorite part.  I made the nose out of half a mini M&M, the ears, eyes and mouth out of foundant.  I thought in order to ensure they didn't break foundant was the best thing to use - I will let you know how it goes at the end of the weekend.
And after many ears...noses...eyes and mouths, oh and collars, I have the cake pup:
I added a few chocolate mint pups to the litter :) 
Obviously I can't bring the pops on a piece of styrofoam so next up was a stand.  I looked at stands that places such as Michael's and AC Moore sold but they had poor reviews.  What was a cake pop diva to do??  The lightbulb went on...
I decided to create my own stand with a little styrofoam, spray paint, and ribbion...taa daa
I was pretty happy with outcome and if they don't taste good at least we will all get a good laugh!! I owe Berger for the inspiration - Aunt Taryn is going to be good to him this Christmas.
Tomorrow is the shower and bachelorette party - more details and projects to come...until Sunday.

P.S. I tried the sock curls last night that I read about on Pinterest and it worked pretty well.  I suggest if you have long hair you Google it ASAP.
Until next time...stay creative.


No comments:

Post a Comment